Being the light

This week is on John 12:46-49:

I have come as a light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in darkness. If anyone hears my words and does not obey them, I do not judge him. For I have not come to judge the world, but to save the world. The one who rejects me and does not accept my words has a judge; the word I have spoken will judge him at the last day. For I have not spoken from my own authority, but the Father himself who sent me has commanded me what I should say and what I should speak.

These verses are Jesus sharing his purpose on earth. He has come to save us, not to judge us. That's not to say that judgement won't take place later if we don't listen, but Jesus isn't there to enforce the Father's will. It's interesting to compare his attitude towards the gospel to the attitude we see amongst our own sometimes.

Jesus says "If anyone hears my words and does not obey them, I do not judge him." How many brutal Christian dinner table arguments have taken place, where we've tried to share the gospel or tips on Christian living with someone and they resist it? How many times have you seen someone get cornered with a fistful of religious tracts by someone whose ego is tied up in making them convert there, on the spot, unconditionally? When you try to help someone you love, and they won't take your advice, you go away sad, not angry or offended. I think Jesus cried more than he roughed people up.

The truth of the gospel is not changed one bit by whether someone accepts it or not. What is added to its power by condemning someone who doesn't accept it? Not a thing! People either accept salvation or they continue on the path to hell. There is no room for offense. The truth doesn't come from you, nor do the consequences.

There's no "leader board" for evangelists to post their high scores to. So why make it about you? Does light compete with light when the object is to chase away darkness? Every bit helps. If Jesus didn't take offense at rejection, who are we to do so?

The people who judge those who reject Jesus' words are the people who are in it for a reward. Maybe they want the feeling of control, or maybe they want to be big screen tithe farmers, making enough for a private jet off of the decisions of people to follow Jesus' words. Maybe they're looking for validation, in seeing if others will believe the way they do. But Jesus has none of those things. He shares out of love. His words are light, not angry stones.

Jesus didn't come to judge the world, but to save it. Take a moment and try to imagine what that would look like coming from an evangelist, and ask yourself if you're that kind of evangelist.

Comments

Popular Posts