Prodigal prayer

This week is on Luke 15:13-24:

“Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

“When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

“But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

These verses are part of the parable of the prodigal son. They describe a foolish guy who creates his own disaster and then can't get out of it, who then runs to his father with no hope of being made right. And yet the father accepts him back, and restores his place of honor. He is made whole again, undeservedly, because of the father's love.

Everything he says is true. "I made this disaster. It isn't your job to fix it. I don't deserve a handout. I am a failure." It's justice speaking. But the father's words are pure love. "I want you to be clothed and to be honored. I want you to be happy and provided for. I want my son back, not another slave."

When we pray to God, sometimes I think we're praying for justice, when God is a God of love. We fear to ask for our broken finances to be fixed, because we know we broke them ourselves. We hesitate to ask for healing for the results of our own bad lifestyle and dietary choices. We don't ask with the expectation of forgiveness and love. We deal with God almost as if we were dealing with a bureaucrat. "Sorry you had three months to fix that situation and now there's nothing we can do for you."

When we've clearly sinned against God in some spiritual arena, it seems easier to ask for forgiveness, but when we've just created a mess on our own? I think we limit ourselves sometimes by not accepting forgiveness for our bad stewardship. I've caught myself at it and seen it in others. When we recognize that our condition is the natural result of our actions, it's harder to ask for a handout. The prodigal son says "I don't deserve to be helped, but please help me."

But look at the father's response! Does he take any of the son's actions into account when giving his blessing? He gives freely. He fills the need and lavishes the sinner with love. There's no talk of bad finances, reckless living, running away, rebellion, etc. The son knows what he's done. The father doesn't need to remind him. The father is free to operate purely on the plane of love.

This parable touches on how to pray in a way that is both bold and humble. Why does the son go back to his father, and not to some other rich man? Because he's familiar with his father's love! He knows that if he comes to him, he will get love, not more justice. He approaches the father in humility, knowing what he's done and his resulting situation, but he is bold by asking his father. He knows the father's character and is willing to accept the father's hoped-for blessing.

When we pray, we should be aware of what we did to be lacking in whatever it is we ask for, but also hopeful in God's love for us. In doing so, we are set up to fully appreciate the forgiveness that God has for us, as well as to freely receive the blessing God has to go with it. We're lost and then we're found and loved.

Comments

Popular Posts