Truth in nature

This week is on Genesis 1:20-25:

And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

I've mentioned it before, but I love how science finally acknowledges this creation order that the Bible has stated for thousands of years. Atheism has been pushing to try to use science to disprove God's existence, but in some ways it only goes to prove it more.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with a guy in a Middle Eastern country where the guy was trying to convince me he knew the capitals of all fifty US states. He would ask me the capital, and then when I didn't know it, he'd triumphantly tell me. Eventually he got to New York state. I know that one. So I told him the answer: "Albany." And he told me I was wrong! He wouldn't tell me the right answer but asked me to guess again. So I told him the right answer again, and he told me I was wrong again. This continued for a little while. Finally he told me his answer: "al-Bany." So I was like, "Right. Albany." And he realized I was right all along.

In some ways, God's answers are right in front of us, but we don't want to see them. We try this thing, and that thing, and some other thing, all hoping to find the truth, when the truth is before us already. We finally come up with the correct answer, once we've exhausted all of the alternatives. But God lovingly crafted the universe the same as he's lovingly crafted the circumstances of our lives. His answer is right.

Reading these verses, we see that God has a plan for the world. It's an intricate plan, and he's intimately involved in seeing it come to fruition. He created the oceans and filled them with salt. He populated it with these sleek silvery creatures that float like angels in a heaven of salt and water. Then he created bird-like dinosaurs and then flying birds that floated in the heavens and plucked the fish from the water. Then he created mammals and other creatures, and then created mankind to rule over it all. He created us in his image. Each stage of his plan built on the other stages.

Each part of the plan was good. Each part was what he wanted. All was by his design. How can we keep from marveling at it? If he put this much time and attention into making sure that a pigeon is exactly what a pigeon should be, how much more attention has he put into us who he has created in his image? God is awesome. No matter what it is, he's got it figured out.

Comments

Popular Posts