Love

This week's study is on Ephesians 5:1-2:

Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

These verses come between a couple sections where Paul is telling people how to behave. It ties them together well, because love should be at the center of what we do. God's example in its purest form is love. Christ loved us and gave himself up for us. If we don't have love for people, nothing else we do is going to turn out right in God's eyes. We're not representing him anymore, in that case. We're just acting.

There were a couple occasions recently where God showed me areas of my heart where I lack love. One was yesterday. There was a sort of slovenly guy crossing against the light right when I was turning to get on the highway, and I had to wait for him. I got angry at him, and I felt the Holy Spirit say "Does anyone love that guy?" I realized at that moment that I didn't, and then suddenly I had such compassion for him. I pictured him walking alone, with no car, maybe unable to afford the things he wants to eat, probably living in a run down apartment, maybe working an unfulfilling job or not being able to find a job at all. How many people had probably driven past that guy and thought the same thing I had, that he was just an annoyance. Who loved him? It was horrible.

We may care a ton for the people we know, or the people we've chosen to reach, but how much love do we have for the random stranger? I saw more hardheartedness at a festival recently, where people didn't want to share their booth space with others, or let people use their garbage to throw something out, or make change for people who needed it. It was very cold and territorial. It's so easy to fall into that tribal mindset where we forget that others are beloved by God as well, and where we're OK pouring ourselves out for them.

If you're not willing to let a guy share your table space under your tent so that he can keep his papers dry in the rain, how are you going to pour your life out? If you're not willing to suffer the inconvenience of a prematurely full trash can, how are you going to bear the burdens of the needy? If you can't be bothered to let a poor man cross the street when you're in a hurry, how are you going to be patient with his greater needs? I wonder if Jesus sends these situations into our lives to see if we're ready.

In the end times, it talks about Jesus saying "Hey, I was naked and you gave me clothes. I was hungry and you fed me. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink." And the Christians were like "What?" Maybe he's also like "Hey, I asked you to help me carry some gas to my car that was broken down a mile away and you carried it with me. I took forever to ring up (a thousand years is but a day) in the grocery store and you were patient with me. I asked to use your bathroom and you let me. When I ran out of flyers, you offered to print more for me." It's not a list of actions we have to memorize, but a love that compels us to behave in a way that represents God to people.

We are dearly loved, more than we're probably even capable of knowing. We should walk in that love and allow it to open our eyes towards the needs of people around us. None of us have perfect hearts. Very rarely do we always know the right thing to do. But God's love in us will help us to walk the path we need to walk. And he will be glorified despite our stubborn otherwise cold-hearted imperfections.

Comments

Popular Posts