The pass

This week's study is on Psalm 5:1-7:

Listen to my words, Lord,
consider my lament.
Hear my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.

In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.
For you are not a God who is pleased with wickedness;
with you, evil people are not welcome.
The arrogant cannot stand
in your presence.
You hate all who do wrong;
you destroy those who tell lies.
The bloodthirsty and deceitful
you, Lord, detest.
But I, by your great love,
can come into your house;
in reverence I bow down
toward your holy temple.

These verses are cool because they show that God wants to welcome us, despite the difference between us and him. King David wrote it, probably during one of his many hard times as king. This is before he asks for what he specifically wants, where he just thanks God for being who he is.

God doesn't like our bad behavior and attitudes, but he likes us. It's a hard distinction to make, because we often think that if someone doesn't like something we're doing that they hate us, or that if they like us they automatically like everything we're doing. If they don't know us, sometimes they hate us, but if they know us, sometimes they hate behavior without hating the person. There are things I don't like about most of the people I know. There are even things I really dislike about some of the people who are closest to me, but it doesn't make me hate them. In the same way, I think God really loves us even though we do horrible things. But until we know him, he allows us to be strangers and it's different.

David did some horrible things as king. He stole a man's beloved wife. He then had that man murdered and tried to cover it up. If he didn't know God, David would have been counted among the bloodthirsty and deceitful, those who tell lies and prey on the vulnerable. But David knew God. He sought God out and relied on him. So when he had a need for forgiveness or was in trouble, he could approach God directly.

David's beautiful words are "But I, by your great love, can come into your house." That's the gospel summarized in one sentence. (God so loved the world...right?) David, of all people, could be welcomed into God's house as a favored guest. We, of all people, can be too.

We're not perfect like God is. We make mistakes like King David made mistakes. As strangers, we're "that guy." As in, "I hope they catch 'that guy' who smashed my car window and took my phone," or "Hey look, 'that guy' just backed his truck up over the flowers I planted again!" "That guy" is the recipient of the pointy end of justice. There is no mercy for "that guy."

When we talk to God, and we have a relationship of some kind with him, we're no longer "that guy." We're his friend. The guards don't seize us at the gates and splatter our blood all over the ground. They invite us in and swing open the gates for us to sit with God himself. We are favored, like the king.

Comments

Popular Posts