Mistakes and redemption

This week's goodness is on Psalm 51. The whole thing!

For the director of music. A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.

Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.

For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
and justified when you judge.
Surely I was sinful at birth,
sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
you taught me wisdom in that secret place.

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will turn back to you.
Deliver me from bloodguilt, O God,
you who are God my Savior,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
Open my lips, Lord,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.

May it please you to prosper Zion,
to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
in burnt offerings offered whole;
then bulls will be offered on your altar.


I don't know what's behind the sin and salvation theme I've had going lately. Maybe it's my professional work in auditing the work of other professionals. Humility and accepting correction have never been as attractive to me as they have lately. A man who doesn't recognize his own mistakes, or even his own capacity for failure, is a dangerous thing to rely on. There is such joy in seeing someone correct their mistakes, even the tiniest ones, that it's almost worth them erring, just for the satisfaction of seeing how their work has improved.

These verses are a public prayer written by King David after he was confronted by a prophet over his seemingly private adultery. (Nothing is private to God.) He freely admitted that what he did was wrong, and asked God's expert help in starting fresh. In the process of admitting to his very big sin, he realized he'd committed all sorts of sins. He'd started off sinful. Before he was even born he was sinful. He was sinful from the moment he was conceived, from the moment the first cell with his DNA had formed.

He admits all of this to God. He admits it all in a song that is sung by his worship team, his director of music. He asks for forgiveness and a renewed perspective. He repents of his sin.

The great thing is that God forgives him. His sin is washed clean. He gets to start fresh, not on probation. Instead of modeling sin to the people he leads, he models grace and righteousness. He has humility. He knows his limits. His sacrifice is a broken and contrite heart.

None of us is perfect. The perfect thing is that we can change. We can correct our mistakes. We can fix our bugs before they cost us everything. We get a chance to try again. We can be on God's good side forever.

Humility is beautiful. It's real. When we are humble and know our limits, when we are broken and contrite, we're not pretending to be superstars. We're not claiming to be as flawless as God himself. We express the truth: we are what we are, and are growing into what we will be. None of us is there yet.

It's OK to admit your mistakes. We need to, before God. If a king can do it, so can you. Redemption is available to us all, if we'll admit we need it.

Comments

Popular Posts